Historical Marker: Jefferson City
This marker marks the location of an area of New Orleans that was once part of Jefferson Parish. It was called Jefferson City and was incorporated in 1850, consolidating several "faubourgs" (suburbs) into once city. By 1860 over 5,000 people lived here including 131 free blacks. Two other cities, Lafayette and Carrollton, were created in a similar fashion. In 1870, all three were officially incorporated into the City of New Orleans.
Soniat, Meloncy C. "The Faubourgs: Forming the Upper Section of the City of New Orleans." The Louisiana Historical Quarterly, Volume 20, January-October 1937, pp 192–211. http://nutrias.org/links/nolinks/faubourgs.pdf.