Peoples State Forest Nature Museum
Built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1935, the Peoples State Forest Nature Museum houses exhibits on animals, plants, rocks, and minerals native to Connecticut, as well as displays on the historic Barkhamsted Light House site. During the 1930s, this area was home to 250 men from the CCC, who lived in Camp White. They were responsible for building roads and trails through the forest, planting additional trees, and constructing the museum. The museum then remained closed for several decades once the CCC was decommissioned, but it reopened in 1992.