Clio Logo

This handsome Queen Anne home was built in 1888 for its namesake, Andre R. McGill (1840-1905), one of the state's prominent political figures during the second half of the 19th century. The house originally featured porches on the first and second floors and a separate carriage house but these were demolished during a renovation in 1930. The house however retains much of its Queen Anne character. Aside from its architecture, the house is significant for its association with McGill, who served as governor from 1887-1889. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. It is a private residence but can be viewed from the street.

  • The Andrew R. McGill House was built in 1888 by its namesake, who served as governor from 1887-1889.
McGill got his career started in St. Peter, where he first worked as a newspaper editor and then became superintendent of schools of Nicollet County. He passed the bar in 1869 and in 1870 was appointed the private secretary for Governor Judge Austin. Austin appointed McGill insurance commissioner in 1873 and he held this position for thirteen years. In 1887, he was elected governor, winning by a slight margin on the promise to increase the price for a saloon license. Not surprisingly, this was unpopular and McGill was not reelected. However, he did serve in the state senate and was appointed postmaster general of St. Paul (he held these two office simultaneously thanks to a suspension of the federal rule barring officials from holding a state and federal office).
VanBrocklin, Lynne. "McGill, Andrew R., House." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. December 31, 1974.

Photo: William Wessen, via Wikimedia Commons