McCune-Brooks Hospital (former), 627 West Centennial, now Carthage Water & Electric Plant
Now home to the business offices of Carthage Water & Electric Plant (CW&EP), the original three story brick and Carthage limestone-trimmed hospital structure was opened in 1929. Dr. Everett Powers was the first Chief of Staff at this facility. The building has had many additions during its years of service as a hospital. In 2008 a new hospital was built south of Carthage off Interstate 49 and the old hospital was converted to business use by CW&EP. This entry was created in honor of Carthage's 175th Anniversary Celebration in 2017 and was based on an exhibit at the Powers Museum. The museum's name honors Dr. Powers and his wife Marian Wright Powers (see Clio entry for Powers Museum and former Powers Home at 314 Euclid Boulevard).
Backstory and Context
The hospital's name honors two physicians. The first was Dr. Robert F. Brooks who established a trust upon his death for the construction of a hospital. The second was Dr. Thomas E. McCune who was an associate of Dr. R. F. Brooks. An anonymous gift of $10,000 was given in 1903 to the Carthage Hospital Association (CHA) by McCune's mother, Lizzie McCune, as a memorial to her son. Mrs. McCune had been instrumental in the CHA when it worked toward the construction of Carthage's first hospital. It was located closer to the corner of Centennial and Forest Streets and opened in 1907. When the 1929 facility opened, the former hospital was used by nurses for lodging and other related medical activities. John C.Guinn donated half of the construction costs, $75,000, for the bigger hospital facility.
McCune-Brooks Regional Hospital: 100 Years and Counting. Carthage Evening Press, January 2008 supplement.
Powers Museum Vertical Files: McCune-Brooks Hospital.