John N. Bensen House
The John N. Bensen House was erected in 1903 and is an excellent example of Queen Anne architecture
Backstory and Context
John N. Bensen was German immigrant who first arrived in New York City and then settled in St. Cloud around the early 1870s;his brother, Andrew, came with him. They opened the Benson Brother's Grocery Store in 1872 (their last name is spelled with an "o" in one of the sources) in the downtown area and it became very successful. He later started to invest in real estate in 1908. As a result of these activities, Bensen's stature in the community rose, which led him to become mayor in 1905. Three years later, he became president of the Merchants Bank of St. Cloud. As for the brother's store, it was used by a variety of businesses and is now a restaurant.
Debaun, Dan. "Frozen in time: Benson Brothers building in downtown St. Cloud." WJON. October 29, 2014. https://wjon.com/frozen-in-time-benson-brothers-building-in-downtown-st-cloud-video.
Harvey, Thomas. "John N. Bensen House." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. February 11, 1982. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/66b757ad-a75e-46c4-9fdd-fd1d6e6f3fdc.
Wikimedia Commons: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:John_N._Bensen_House