Backstory and Context
The Sanibel Lighthouse was built and lit in 1884 after several requests by residents to build a lighthouse to promote trade and visits before and after the civil war. After the $50,000 was raised to fund the project, it was built and ran with kerosene oil. Hurricanes made the structure rust and deteriorate over time, so the keeper at the time, Bob England, had to leave and it became automated in 1949. Today it serves as an important landmark for Sanibel residents, and though it is not open to the public, many visitors stop by the beach to take a look.
History. (n.d.). Retrieved from
Krueger , C. (n.d.). Sanibel Island Lighthouse: A Backdrop to Beauty. Retrieved from https://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/cities/sanibel-island/sanibel-island-lighthouse.html