Illinois Central Passenger Depot
The Illinois Central Passenger Depot was built in 1888 and is a fine example of Queen Ann architecture.
Backstory and Context
By the time the depot was built, railroading was in its early stages in Sioux Falls. As stated above, the Illinois Central was the fourth railroad to arrive in the city and it contributed to the decades-long period in which railroading was a key part of the local economy. The railroad line was completed on December 19, 1887, well before the depot was finished. Despite this, the last spike to be driven was cause for celebration; the mayor, other city officials, and member of the public came out for the ceremony. Eventually, after train service declined in the mid-20th century (it transitioned from a passenger to a freight depot in the 1950s), the depot was abandoned and fell into disrepair. It was renovated into office space in 1982. The foundation, which was established in 1969, moved into the depot in 2013.
"Illinois Central Depot." The Historical Marker Database. Accessed January 9, 2020. https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=124587.
Olson, Dr. Gary. "Illinois Central Passenger Depot." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. August 18, 1983. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/d69e1a76-95ae-4aee-8100-e8a233a349df.
"Our Story." Sioux Falls Community Foundation. Accessed January 9, 2020. https://www.sfacf.org/about-us/our-purpose-and-story.
The Historical Marker Database