Palm Springs Art Museum
The museum offers 28 galleries, two sculpture gardens, a theater and a lecture hall, and a gift shop and café.
Backstory and Context
The museum moved several times within the downtown Palm Springs area before building its first permanent structure in 1958, located on the southwest corner of Tahquitz-McCallum Way and Indian Ave. To add to the appeal of the museum, galleries located upstairs in the new building were designed to exhibit fine art. In 1963, the museum held its first concert. These new ideas were the seedlings of the Palm Springs Art Museum we know today.
The 1960s were a busy time for the museum. Executive Director Frederick Sleight arrived on the scene in 1965 with a vision of making the museum "the prime cultural center of the desert." Alice Sleight founded the docent program that same year. As programming grew, so did attendance. By the late 60's it was evident the 10,000 square foot building was quickly becoming too small (designed by E. Stewart Williams, the structure is pictured at right).
In 1974, architect E. Stewart Williams was commissioned to design the current building for the museum. Further growth resulted in the construction of the Doris and Walter N. Marks Administration Building and the 1996 completion of the Steve Chase Wing and the Education Center.