Kentucky Governor's Mansion
Backstory and Context
Kentucky's Governor’s Mansion attracts thousands of visitors each year who tour the state dining room, ballroom, reception room, and formal salon. Tour highlights include antique furniture and a number of valuable artworks. The Governor’s Mansion is located on the East Lawn of the Capitol Complex. Twenty-six governors have lived in the house. The Mansion is 18,428 square feet.
It was designed by architects C.C. and E.A. Weber. Though it wasn’t complete, Governor James B. McCreary was the first resident. He moved into the mansion in January of 2014. It wasn’t until 1982 with Governor and First Lady John Y. and Phillis Brown living in the mansion that renovation became imperative. The First Lady spearheaded the fundraising efforts and included historians on the project which took about a year and was completed in 1983.
In 2007 another renovation was needed. This time is was Governor Ernie Fletcher and First Lady Glenna Fletcher. Once again it was the First Lady who took over preservation and restoration efforts. Nearly all of the interior was upgraded including new windows, doors, heating and cooling, hardwood restored, new painting, and new upholstery. The rear terrace was also completely remodeled at this time.
Governor's Mansion website, accessed July 11, 2016. http://governorsmansion.ky.gov/Pages/default.aspx
Kentucky Tourism website, accessed July 11, 2016. http://www.kentuckytourism.com/governors-mansion/1545/
"Kentucky Governor's Mansion." National Register of Historic Places, National Park Services, accessed July 11, 2016. http://npgallery.nps.gov/nrhp/AssetDetail?assetID=a5086e91-3692-4921-a916-638fcab63f52