Gallipolis City Park
The fountain was donated by the family of Charles D. Kerr, who owned and operated a drugstore on Second Avenue. The fountain was "in memory" of their son who drowned in the Ohio River.
The Bandstand is of Eastlake influence. A focal point of the park, it was built by the Stirlings, father and son, circa 1876 as a memorial to Gallia County Civil War Veterans. Two years after being built, the contractors threatened to tear it down as they were owed $40. The ladies of Gallipolis came to the rescue by hosting an ice cream social to raise the money. The Bandstand is still used today for many activities and performances.
The sandstone monolith at the center entrance to the Park on First Avenue marks the height of the Ohio River floods of 1884, 1907, 1913 and 1937.
The white shaft holds a replica of the rocker arm from the steamer, John Porter,. It is a memorial to the 66 people who died of yellow fever when the boat brought the disease to Gallipolis in 1878.
Gallipolis, Ohio 45631
This entry has been viewed 185 times within the past year