Fort Hartsuff Post Hospital
Backstory and Context
Fort Hartsuff was originally designated as a two-company post with a company of infantry and a company of cavalry to be housed here. However, before construction was completed it was decided to place a single company of infantry here. Rather than waste the foundation that had already been poured for the cavalry officer’s quarters, the plans were modified to change the structure into the post-hospital.
The post surgeon, with help from the hospital steward, provided medical care to area settlers, as well as the soldiers. Several babies were born here. Since the post surgeon was usually the officer with the highest level of scientific training his duties included water and soil testing, noting meteorological conditions, recording the flora and fauna of the area, and monitoring the men’s living conditions.
Domeier, Jim . "The Guide to Fort Hartsuff (1874-1881)." . .