Lazarus Manley House
Lazarus Manly House in 2020
Backstory and Context
This one and a half story building is a typical Long Island style home. The house has an old millstone built into the basement 's foundation wall and the rear wing is thought to be the former carpenter shop of Gamaliel Bennett (1775-1848). Manly's original windmill stood on the hill near the house on the other side of the Main Road. It was replaced in 1810 with a windmill built by Nathaniel Dominy V (1770- 1852). The Great Western Windmill, replaced the Dominy windmill. Then the Dominy mill, which still stands, was later moved to Shelter Island in 1839 and now is part of Sylvester Manor.
Antiquities, Society for the Preservation of Long Island's. Historic House Inventory - Southold Town. Survey for New York State , unpublished, 1976-1987.
Bailey, Paul. "Historic Long Island." Long Islander, September 7, 1961: 2.
—. "Historic Long Island." Suffolk County News, August 10, 1961: 9.
Fleming, Geoffrey K. Images of America Southold. Charleston, South Carolina: Arcadia Publishing, 2004.
Markers, Committee for the Guide to Historic. Guide to Historic Markers. Southold, New York: Southold Historical Society, 1960.
Whitaker, Epher. Whitaker's Southold. Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1931.