Clio Logo
Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984, the J.M. Clark House is significant for its Craftsman-style architecture and association with its namesake, John Milton Clark. The home, which Clark built in 1912, is also notable for its use of locally sourced volcanic rock. Other interesting features of the home include overhanging eaves with exposed rafter ends, a stuccoed exterior, broad gable roofs, and a three-bay porch supported by four columns. Clark was a prominent figure in Flagstaff in the early 20th century, becoming a successful business owner and helping shape local regional politics. The home is now a restaurant called Josephine's Modern American Bistro.

The J.M. Clark House was built in 1912 and is an excellent example of Craftsman-style architecture.

The J.M. Clark House was built in 1912 and is an excellent example of Craftsman-style architecture.

John M. Clark was born in 1871 in New Hampshire and relocated to Flagstaff with his family as a boy. As a young man, he moved to Yuma where he eventually became Captain of the Guards at the Yuma Territorial Prison, which is now a museum. In 1895 he became Deputy Marshall and moved to Tuscon, where he met his future wife, Agnes (they married in 1905), and got into business. Clark also served in the First Territorial Legislature and played a central role in helping Arizona achieve statehood. He and Agnes arrived in Flagstaff in 1906. He opened a clothing store with his brother, Charles, on Leroux Street. Clark remained involved in Arizona's political arena after it became a state in 1912.

He bought the land on which the home now stands in 1910. It was next to the large 360-acre tract of land this father, Asa, had owned. The city bought the southern half of that property in 1922 to build Flagstaff High School (which is located a block to the west) and a park. Clark lived in the house until he passed away in 1926. Agnes remained until she sold it in 1944. It was a private home until 1976 when Mount Cavalry Lutheran Church bought it and used it as a fellowship hall and meeting place. It appears the house was converted into a restaurant around 1984.

"About Us." Josephine's Modern American Bistro. Accessed September 21, 2020.

Cleeland, Teri & Hoffman, Nancy W. "J.M. Clark House." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. December 5, 1984.

Image Sources(Click to expand)

Wikimedia Commons:,_Arizona_503_N_Humphreys_3.JPG