Entrance to the Formal Garden
The Peony Garden at Ashland
Backstory and Context
Founded in 1916 by twelve female Lexington residents, the Garden Club of Lexington aims to spread their love of gardening and to help work on environmental preservation projects throughout the city. The club joined the Garden Club of America in 1924 which has helped to more firmly establish them in the community. Prior to their work on the Henry Clay Estate, the women of the club planted trees on Richmond Road which runs along the estate’s edge. The trees have grown to create a tunnel-like atmosphere along the road.
In 1950, the Henry Clay Estate asked the Garden Club if they would help to create and maintain a formal garden at Ashland. Funds were raised for the project by selling war bonds and were used to hire Henry F. Kenney to design plans for the gardens. Today the garden and grounds feature over 120 plant species. The Garden Club members have added a peony garden behind the formal garden and a monarch waystation nearby. Maintenance of the gardens is still the responsibility of the club which meets weekly to see to its upkeep. In 2005, the Garden Club received a Historic Preservation Award honoring their more than 50 years of work on the estate.
Professional photographers and those interested in booking the gardens for an event must contact the Henry Clay Estate.
About Us, Garden Club of Lexington. Accessed October 17th 2020. https://bluegrasswinners.com/about-us/#about.