Chauncey Brown House
Backstory and Context
The first story of what is now known as the Chauncey Brown House was built in 1666 by Joseph Woodward Sr. In 1807, the house and the land it stood on were purchased by Pomeroy Strong; Strong had also purchased the nearby Newell House, and moved the second house due to the construction of the Farmington Canal. He added the Newell House to the existing Woodward House, and added a second story to the structure. Woodward and Newell were among the original settlers of Farmington. After Strong's death, the house passed on to his daughters, Julia and Ellen. In 1837 Julia married Dr. Chauncey Brown and they bought Ellen's share of the inheritance.
The house is included on the Farmington Freedom Trail, as Dr. Chauncey Brown and his wife Julia housed a young girl, Temme, of the Amistad Africans in the house for the duration of the escaped captives' time in Farmington. It was originally arranged that Temme would stay in the home of Horace Cowles; however, Cowles died before she arrived, and his wife relocated, so Temme was placed with the Browns.
The home remained in the Brown family until 1963, and then became a commercial property. As of 2016, the building is vacant. It is commonly referred to as both the Chauncey Brown House and the Woodford-Newell-Strong House.
Amistad, Historic Buildings of Connecticut. February 17th 2016. Accessed October 21st 2020. https://historicbuildingsct.com/tag/amistad/.