Clio Logo
Constructed in 1950, Emmanuel Baptist Church offers an example of Gothic Revival architecture in Alexandria and features a grand entrance consisting of a large, pointed arch made in ornate cast stone and a rose window; decorative buttresses; a bell tower with Tudor-style doorway, double-pointed arch windows with tracery, and tall, thin openings; and stained glass windows. The congregation itself was established in 1881. The church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.

Emmanuel Baptist Church was built in 1950. It is an excellent example of Gothic Revival architecture.

Building, Property, Architecture, Landmark

Emmanuel Baptist Church was founded on September 6, 1881 as the Alexandria and Pineville Baptist Church. There were just twelve members at the time. The congregation changed the name to its current one in 1892. It appears that the congregation's first church building, a wood-frame structure located at Fourth and Jackson Streets, was erected in 1897. In 1920, an education building was constructed. Thirty years later, the current church building was dedicated on September 10, 1950. The education building was remodeled and a new addition to the church was built in 1960. In 1961, a new chapel was built. The entire church complex takes up most of the block.

"Emmanuel Baptist Church." The Historical Marker Database. Accessed November 28, 2020.

National Register staff. "Emmanuel Baptist Church." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form.

November 21, 2001.

Image Sources(Click to expand)

Wikimedia Commons:,_Louisiana).JPG