Clio Logo
The Bethesda Community store, located at the intersection of Greentree Road and Old Georgetown Road, was constructed in 1924. The building itself is a small single store building, with a two-bay by one bay frame construction. The building with its main entrance and porch is on the south side. The gabled roof slightly overhands displaying a three-sided sign that says "Bethesda Community Store" in the center, and Coca Cola on the sides. The building has been vacated since 2016, although several other shops have set up shop in the adjacent parking lots. In 2016, it was one of the longest operated businesses in Bethesda. Currently, Call Your Mother Deli food truck serves bagels from the lot.

Exterior of the Bethesda Community Store

Stairs, Door, Roof, Outdoor furniture

A store existed at the site of the Community Store long before 1924, with a store called Morgans Store located at the site on an 1894 Hopkins Atlas. The store was constructed sometime later by Mr. John Moyer, although he did not own the land; the land was owned by Mr. John Huffman, who owned the land until 1937. Interestingly, the owner of the land has never operated the store on the land. Proprietors have included Mr. Owens, Mr. Ernest Brown, the Fergusons, and "Old Sweetie Williams". After Mr. Huffman sold the land, it was bought by the Bogley family, and the store was operated by Ernest and Margaret Caudill. The Hendersons took over in 1984, and Arnie Fainman was the last operator of the store before closing. Since the Moyers, not many things have changed, the store sold groceries, produce, and later became more like a restaurant, selling coffee, donuts, sandwiches, and other foods. The community store is one of the few symbols left of rural Bethesda before heavy suburbanization.

Memorandum, "Maryland Historical Trust State Historic Trusts Form, M: 35-43," n.d., accessed December 30, 2020,

Image Sources(Click to expand)