Meridian City Hall
Meridian City Hall was built in 1915 and is a good example of Beaux-Arts architecture.
Backstory and Context
City Hall replaced the previous one built in 1885 and designed by Gustav Torgerson (it is also spelled as Tergenson), who also designed the Riley Center, which was known as the Grand Opera House and Marks-Rothenberg Department Store building. The 1885 city hall was a large brick building with a tall clock tower. In the 1950s and 1960s, the current city hall was modernized, which included installing drop ceilings for air conditioning ducts that covered the original decorative plaster moulding. Many of these changes damaged the building in the long run, particularly the terra cotta tiles. In the mid-2000s, a years-long renovation project began and was finally completed in January 2012.
Brown, Ida. "Doors of newly renovated city hall opened to the public." The Meridian Star. February 1, 2012.
Brown, Jennifer Jacob. "City Hall renovations: The making of a modern relic." The Meridian Star. March 21, 2010. https://www.meridianstar.com/news/local_news/city-hall-renovations-the-making-of-a-modern-relic/article_32600485-f3c6-54ea-8140-0e3ecf92c7e0.html.
Brown, Jennifer Jacob. "The costs and complications of City Hall reconstruction." The Meridian Star. March 7, 2009. https://www.meridianstar.com/news/local_news/the-costs-and-complications-of-city-hall-reconstruction/article_cfd2796e-8674-5c43-b275-bb669264f653.html.
Cook, Jody. "Municipal Building." State of Mississippi Historic Sites Survey. February 1979. https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/GetAsset/NRHP/79003399_text.
Michael Barera, via Wikimedia Commons: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Meridian_City_Hall