Central Hotel, Slinger Alleys, Wolfs Grocery Store, Jims Bakery
Introduction
Text-to-speech Audio
Images
Bowling Alley's

Kohls Hotel and Restaurant

Bar in Circa 1960

John Kippenhann Bartending with unknown guest Circa 1905

Lanes Circa 1960's

Circa 1905 Business Card

Circa 1905 Business Card

Circa 1915 Business Card for Kohl's

Circa 1905

Circa 1900 John Kippenhann outside Central Hotel

Circa 1905

John Kippenhann second from left and Valentine Fischer last one from left outside Central Hotel Circa 1900

John Kippenhann at Central Hotel Circa 1900

Circa 1940

Unknown Men outside Central Hotel

Franklin Street Circa 1910

Franklin Street Circa 1940's

John Kippenhann with his car in front of Central Hotel Circa 1910

John Theisen and his Daughter inside Central Hotel Circa 1912

John Kippenhann Outside Central Hotel Circa 1905

John Kippenhann and unknown women outside Central Hotel Circa 1900

Wolf's Grocery Store

Backstory and Context
Text-to-speech Audio
In 1866 John Menger started the hotel/saloon and meat market known as the "Farmer's Heimath". During this same period John would start Schleisingerville's first brick yard. In 1876 his son George would take over the business and name it Central Hotel. George would unfortunately pass away in 1885, the same year as his father John. His wife Elizabeth Kletti who he had married in 1874 had 3 children Albert, Otto, and Helena. Elizabeth still owned and ran the saloon/hotel when she would meet Charles Kaiser. They would get married in 1888. Charles and Elizabeth would have 5 children:
Eleanor, Edgar, Maria, Helen, and Elda. John Kippenhan leased the Central Hotel in 1897 from Elizabeth and Charles. He ran It until he built his 'New Commercial House' across the street In 1906. At that time the oldest daughter Eleanor would marry Joesph Theisen and run the saloon/hotel until 1914 when Joesph drowned in a tragic boating accident on Big Cedar. Edward Kohl would purchase the Central Hotel in 1914 from Elizabeth and Charles Kaiser and renamed it Kohl's Hotel and Restaurant. Before purchasing the Central Hotel he ran the Linden Inn on Big Cedar Lake. In 1919 bowling lanes were put in, although at the time they were the smaller version like today's Duck Pin Bowling as it had 5 lanes. In 1922 Edward remodeled again because of the great success of the business and the smaller lanes were removed and 4 full size lanes were installed. Pins were set by hand up till the early 60's when automated pin setters were installed.
Slinger Alleys- Al and Gene Kohl purchased the bowling alleys but were no relation to Edward Kohl. They would run it for many years until Ron and Helen Wagner would purchase the alleys in 1979 and name it RW's Bowl. In the late 1980's Mike and Linda Wein would purchase the lanes and rename it Slinger Lanes. A few more attempts were made by others to run the alleys after the Wein's but in the late 90's it would close as a bowling alleys for good.
Sources
Gundrum, Larry. Crego Jr., Donald. Schleisingerville to Slinger 1869-2019. Chicago, IL. LSC Communications, 2019.
Schleisingerville to Slinger Historical Museum
Schleisingerville to Slinger Historical Museum
Schleisingerville to Slinger Historical Museum
Schleisingerville to Slinger Historical Museum
Schleisingerville to Slinger Historical Museum
Schleisingerville to Slinger Historical Museum
Schleisingerville to Slinger Historical Museum
Schleisingerville to Slinger Historical Museum
Schleisingerville to Slinger Historical Museum
Schleisingerville to Slinger Historical Museum
Schleisingerville to Slinger Historical Museum
Schleisingerville to Slinger Historical Museum
Schleisingerville to Slinger Historical Museum
Schleisingerville to Slinger Historical Museum
Schleisingerville to Slinger Historical Museum
Schleisingerville to Slinger Historical Museum
Schleisingerville to Slinger Historical Museum
Schleisingerville to Slinger Historical Museum
Schleisingerville to Slinger Historical Museum
Schleisingerville to Slinger Historical Museum
Schleisingerville to Slinger Historical Museum
Schleisingerville to Slinger Historical Museum