Clio Logo
This is a contributing entry for Wheeling Park and only appears as part of that tour.Learn More.
The Schwertfeger Shelter and Stifel Playground were constructed concurrently in 1948. The Schwertfeger Shelter is a simple open-air pavilion supported by wood trusses. Modern brick reinforcements have been added to the corners of the structure. The central stone fireplaces are original to the building. The building was named for F.C.H. Schwertfeger, a Wheeling businessman and philanthropist. Schwertfeger was business partners with George E. Stifel, after whom the playground is named. Schwertfeger and Stifel dealt primarily in dry goods and were renowned for their support of education. Though the Schwertfeger pavilion is largely original, the Stifel playground has been repeatedly replaced and updated over the years.

Picture of George E. Stifel.

Forehead, Jaw, Collar, Art

Schwertfeger Shelter.

Plant, Building, Shade, Tree

Stifel Playground.

Photograph, Plant, Purple, Fun

Cranmer, Gibson Lamb. F.C.H. Schwertfeger, History of Wheeling City and Ohio County, West Virginia and Representative Citizens. January 1st 1902. Accessed February 16th 2021.

History of Wheeling Park, Wheeling Park. Accessed February 16th 2021.

Wheeling Hall of Fame: George E. Stifel, Ohio County Public Library. Accessed February 16th 2021.,he%20remained%20for%20five%20years.

Image Sources(Click to expand)

Ohio County Public Library. Accessed February 16, 2021.,he%20remained%20for%20five%20years.

Wheeling Park. Accessed February 16, 2021.

Wheeling Park. Accessed February 16, 2021.