Clio Logo
Erected around 1800, the William Blacklock House is an outstanding example of Adamesque architecture, which warranted its designation as a National Historic Landmark in 1973. The house was named after its builder, William Blacklock, who was a wealthy merchant and a native of Britain. Today it is owned by the College of Charleston and occupied by the Office of Institutional Advancement.

Built around 1800, the William Blacklock House is one of the largest homes in the city and an exceptional example of the Adamesque style.

Sky, Window, Building, Plant

The house is one of the largest in the city. It is three stories tall and features a hipped gable roof with a large fanlight window, and a main entrance with a smaller fanlight above it and sidelight windows on either side. Above the entrance and side windows are dark red-brick arches with keystones. A double flight of stairs reaches the landing of the entrance. Below is the entrance to the basement.

William Blacklock was one of Charleston's wealthiest merchants of the late 18th and early 19th centuries. He was member of a bank called the Branch Bank of the United States, and was on the committee that oversaw the construction the bank building, which is now City Hall. When he built the house, the area where is located was a quieter suburban area. Who designed the house is unknown but it may have been the same architect who designed the former bank building, Charles Manigault. The house is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

College of Charleston Campus Map. Last Updated January 2020. Accessed February 21, 2021.

Stephenson, Tray & Kearse, Bernard. "William Blacklock House." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. November 7, 1973.

"William Blacklock House." The Charleston Museum. Accessed February 21, 2021.

"William Blacklock House, 18 Bull Street, Charleston, Charleston County, SC." Library of Congress. Accessed February 21, 2021.

Image Sources(Click to expand)

Wikimedia Commons: