Clio Logo
This is a contributing entry for Goose Creek and only appears as part of that tour.Learn More.
The Village of Lincoln was a central location of Goose Creek. The village was established in the early 1730s by Quakers moving South from Pennsylvania. It was made up of small family farms, and Lincoln was a busy community made up of businesses and organizations that supported the surrounding homesteads and farms. A very influential organization that is still around today is the Goose Creek Friends Meeting.

Property, Rectangle, Brick, Brickwork

Stone Meeting House

Cloud, Sky, Tire, Car

Brick Meeting House the Friends Community currently use for meetings

Sky, Building, Plant, Window

Lincoln Welcome Sign

Plant, Plant community, Building, House

Oakdale Schoolhouse

Sky, Building, Property, Window

Oakdale Schoolhouse plaque

Brown, Rectangle, Font, Wood

Interior of Oakdale Schoolhouse

Property, Wood, Building, Interior design

The Goose Creek Friends Religious Society built their first log meeting house in 1745. As the community grew, they replaced the log meeting house with a stone Meeting House in 1765. In 1815, the community built the small Oakdale Schoolhouse, which not only served as a place for education, but also for social reform. Prior to the Civil War, the Oakdale Schoolhouse educated both Quaker children and children of free African American men, making it one of the first integrated schools in Virginia. As membership continued to increase, the Friends built their current brick Meeting House sometime between 1817 and 1818.