Clio Logo
The UND Armory is the home of both the universities Army ROTC program and the Air Force ROTC program. The building contains offices, classrooms, and an open gym area for working out. The building itself has been there for over the last 100 years and though many have come and gone, much of it has stayed the same and its purpose has continued to develop the future leaders of both the United States Army and Air Force.

View to the front doors of the Armory

Sky, Cloud, Property, Window

Views from the front door looking into the gym floor

Window, Wood, Flooring, Hall

UND Army ROTC battalion crest on a flag over the entry hallway.

Font, Emblem, Facade, Signage

Gym wall holding memorabilia from the history of the two programs.

Building, Fixture, Window, Floor

Photo of the Armory from the 1950s

Window, Building, Sky, Tree

The Armory was built on the same grounds in 1919 for the purpose of the Army training programs that were held at the university. During those earlier times it was also used for its gymnasium as well as graduation ceremonies before other facilities were built. From the inception of UNDs Army Reserve Officers' Training Corps program in 1888 until 1973, all men attending the university were also required to attend the course. This time period included the United States involvement from the Spanish-American War to the Vietnam War. Shortly after participation became optional for male students, in 1974, women were allowed into the program with the men. In 1946 the Air Force ROTC program moved in with Army ROTC to this building and both programs continue to operate out of the armory to this date. Last school year the Army ROTC program celebrated its 100 year anniversary in the Armory and all of its accomplishments since then.

The Armory itself first began construction in 1918 with the same red brick material that is seen across campus. The Armory lies on the south side of campus, across from Twamley Hall and right next to the North Dakota Museum of Art, off of Centennial Drive. When walking into the building, you walk through the front doors and down a sloped hallway, passed the administrative offices, that leads you into the gymnasium. The gymnasium itself still holds the same wood floors that had been originally placed there. The floor had been used for different athletic teams as well as ceremonies up until the creation of other buildings such as the Chester Fritz Auditorium and then later the Alerus Center. Across the gym lies a range of things from workout equipment, to training materials, to historical artifacts from the earlier days of both the Army and Air Force ROTC programs. Walking across the gym floor takes you to the classroom areas where ROTC cadets attend their lectures.

While much of the Armory’s personnel and training have changed over the years, the things that have stayed the same are the buildings structures and styles, and its role in developing and training our nation's future leaders.

“History: Army ROTC.” Army ROTC | University of North Dakota, 

“Armory (1918- ), in 1958.” UND Scholarly Commons, 

Image Sources(Click to expand)

Daniel Marschall

Daniel Marschall

Daniel Marschall

Daniel Marschall

Elwyn B. Johnson department of special collections.