Clio Logo
Central United Methodist Church is home to the first congregation in Spartanburg. Founded in 1837, it was first called the Spartanburg Methodist Church and was the "mother church" of other Methodist congregations in the city. The building itself was constructed in 1886 and is an excellent example of late 18th and early 19th century Gothic Revival architecture. The exterior walls are covered in a smooth, light yellow stucco, and feature pointed door openings and arched windows with stained glass. The most prominent feature is the 100-foot bell tower with a four corner pinnacles and and a steeple. The church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.

Central United Methodist Church was built in 1886 and is a fine example of Gothic Revival architecture.

Sky, Building, Window, Tree

In January 1837, nine Methodists established the congregation and bought the property on which the current church building now stands. The first minister was assigned to the congregation in 1848. The first sanctuary, a wood-frame structure, was built soon after the church was founded. The second church, a large brick building, was built in 1854 and could accommodate 200 worshippers. The congregation grew in the coming decades and the church became too small by the early 1880s. As a result, the third and current sanctuary was built in 1886. Three years later, the church was given its current name. It was expanded in 1909, a social hall and education building was built in 1930, a chapel and office suit was added in 1953, and in 2001 a new social and education building was erected.

"Founded 1837." Central United Methodist Church. Accessed April 2021.

Witherspoon, Gayland et al. "Central Methodist Church." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. October 3, 2003.

Image Sources(Click to expand)

Bill Fitzpatrick, via Wikimedia Commons: