The Glenn House is an historic home in Cape Girardeau, Missouri. Built in 1833, it is now a museum and the home of the Historical Association of Greater Cape Girardeau. The interior has been restored to show what life was like during the Victorian Era (1860-1900). The home is open for tours and the society hosts art shows and other events in and outside the building throughout the year. The home as well as the Carriage House and grounds are available to rent for weddings or other events.
Backstory and Context
The house was built in 1833 for David A. Glenn, an important figure in city at the time, in the vernacular farmhouse style. It was renovated to the Queen Anne style in 1900. It eventually came to be owned by the Earlbacher family who donated it to the Historical Association of Greater Cape Girardeau, which formed in 1968. The association supervised restoration efforts in the 1970s (it is not clear as to when exactly when the house opened to the public).
"A Short History of The Glenn House." http://www.glennhouse.org/about.html. Retrieved 4-22-15.