Clio Logo

The Thacker and Thacker building is a townhouse located in the Historic Doctor’s Row District. The original building dates back to the 1850s, as a residence for prominent banker William Bailey Tyler. After it was sold out of the family in 1890s, it served as the residence and offices for a series of physicians. In 1970, the law firm of Thacker-Kramer-Thacker bought and renovated the building to its present colonial look. It is currently the offices of Thacker Hodskins & Knight LLP.

The Thacker Building after its 1970 renovation

Building, Photograph, Window, White

The building before its 1970 renovation

Building, Property, Window, Black

The Thacker & Thacker Building is a pre-Civil War townhouse that can be traced back to William Bailey (W.B.) Tyler. Tyler bought the property from his mother, Ann Hartley Murray in 1856 after the death of his stepfather, Dr. Robert Murray. His mother had bought the property in 1855 from the estate of their neighbor, Francis Dickson. The records are unclear on when the house was built, or which property it was located. It is likely Tyler either tore down and built a completely new structure, or heavily modified the existing one. Additions were made to the house in the 1870s and 1880s. 

Tyler, a highly respected banker and community leader, died there in November 1877. A resolution was passed by the City Council declaring that City Hall and public buildings would be in mourning for his passing for thirty days. His widow, Eliza Nicholas Tyler, lived at the residence until the 1890s with several of their unmarried daughters. She would frequently host social gatherings at the house, including meetings for the Women’s Christian Temperance Union.  

In 1893, she sold the house to Dr. William D. Stirman (see Stirman’s Folly). After this, the building passed through multiple owners. The building was leased out as offices for physicians, including osteopaths, surgeons, and dentists. This stretch of Fourth Street is now referred to as the Historic Doctor’s Row District, given the prevalence of physicians who lived and worked in the area. The building was also home to the Willis Studio (photography) in the 1910s.  

The building was bought for the Thacker, Kramer, Thacker law offices in 1970. Major renovations were made to restore the building to a colonial style, including the adding the wrought iron railing, bay window, and wood shingled roof. The structural walls and floor plans remained, as well as the fireplaces, the main hallways, and the staircase. The red brick exterior was painted to its current golden color. 

"City Council." Owensboro Examiner (Owensboro) November 30th 1877. 5-5.

Daviess County, Kentucky, Deed Book M: 536-537.

Daviess County, Kentucky, Deed Book N: 121-122.

Daviess County, Kentucky, Deed Book 56: 84-85.

"Death of W.B. Tyler." Owensboro Examiner (Owensboro) November 30th 1877. 5-5.

Hodges, Glenn. "Renovation Turns Drab to Golden." Messenger-Inquirer (Owensboro) April 13th 1971. , B sec, 1-1.

Image Sources(Click to expand)

Messenger-Inquirer. April 13, 1971

Messenger-Inquirer. April 13, 1971