Clio Logo

The Owen Morgan House, currently known as the Morgan History Center, was built in 1894 by Owen D. Morgan, and local business owner. The home is now owned and operated by the Trumbull County Historical Society, and houses their offices, archives, and rotating exhibit. Morgan was the co-owner of Morgan and Williams, which was a carriage manufacturing company. In 1899, this company created the body for the first Packard automobile. While the home is named after the original owner, many notable people have lived in the home throughout the centuries.

The Morgan family was originally from South Wales, and moved to Hubbard, Ohio in 1860. Morgan began studying to become a Blacksmith in 1877. He worked in a shop in Youngstown until 1889, when he moved to Warren and began the carriage manufacturing company. He lived at this address with his wife Mary Morris Griffith Morgan, and his sister-in-law Anna Griffith. He was a well-known figure in the community. Not only was he a business owner, he also was the treasurer for the Trumbull County Agricultural Association and the Warren Realty and Trust Company. Although he built the home, the family did not stay long and moved out by 1910.

Dr. Daniel Gilmore Simpson lived in the home next, with his wife Luella Simpson, who was a schoolteacher. Dr. Simpson was from Grove City, Pennsylvania. He graduated from the University of Illinois medical school in 1898, before relocating to Warren. He married Luella Conzett Simpson in 1901. In 1920, Luella simpson's mother, Sarah Conzett and 12 year old nieve Luella