Clio Logo

Larchmont Avenue Church was constructed in three distinct periods, taking place in 1922, 1930, and 1953. Specifically, the Church House (parish house) was built in 1922, education building in 1953, and sanctuary in 1930, with the kitchen being added in 1957. The church was designed in the Neo-Gothic architectural style. Because of its distinct architecture the church was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

Image at the Larchmont Avenue Church sanctuary

Window, Blue, Interior design, Lighting

Sky, Building, Window, Plant

The development of commuter rail lines led to the substantial expansion of Larchmont’s population by 1914. There were only three churches in Larchmont at this time, including Union Church (Methodist, 1880), St. John’s Episcopal Church (1883), and a Roman Catholic Chapel (1892). After a meeting of the town’s residents at the home of Emily Earle Lindsley, the daughter of a Presbyterian minster, residents agreed to build the Larchmont Avenue Church. In April 1915, the church organization purchased a plot of land of Forest Park Avenue, Wendt Avenue, and Larchmont Avenue, where they planned to construct a permanent structure near the geographical center of town.

The parish house is located on the northeast side of the property. Its exterior is constructed of stone which is lighter colored than the stone used for the sanctuary. A four story tower projects from the east side of the sanctuary and is the main entry to the Parish House. This entrance has a pointed arch bay with double-leaf wood doors which contain stained glass windows. The entrance has three steps and contains a ramp to accommodate people with disabilities. The upper story contains pointed arch windows with copper-clad louvers.

The sanctuary is rectangular with a steep-pitched gabled-roof and slate shingles. There are two entrances with the principal one on Larchmont Avenue and the other on Forest Park Avenue where street parking is available. This section is built of concrete block and has rough textured fieldstone facing. The south elevation includes the nave, which has a large stained-glass window that was installed in 1931. The entrance pavilion which is to the west of the nave has a medieval inspired metal lighting fixture. A limestone cross is integrated into the stonework above the entrance bay. The pavilion was expanded in 2001. The renovation included a new vestibule and elevator for people with disabilities. The west elevation includes a section included in 1957 when an industrial kitchen was added. The west elevation of this section connects to both the education building and the parish house.

The Education Building (1953) is three stories and fronts on Wendt Avenue and connects with the parish house. The exterior stone is similar to that used in the parish house and the sanctuary resulting in the cohesive appearance of the buildings. The north elevation consists of two bays and the windows of this section are replacements. The interior of the education building has three floors of classrooms and a library. Many of the original fixtures and cabinetry are still in place.

  1. Maloney, Kathleen. Larchmont Avenue Church. National Register of Historic Places. Published March 1st 2021.
  2. About Larchmont Avenue Church, Accessed August 21st 2021.
  3. Ames, Lynne. "The View From: Larchmont; A Church That Takes an Unconventional View Toward Lent." The New York Times (New York) March 3rd 1996. .13.
Image Sources(Click to expand)

Larchmont Avenue Church official website