Built in 1799 and on the national register of historic homes, Washingtonian Hall, also known as the Amos Patterson House, is an excellent example of federal style architecture popular after the Revolutionary War. Many features of the federal period design are present in the home including Palladian windows, a grand entryway and staircase, and handcrafted, detailed moldings throughout the 20 room, 4800 square foot home.
Backstory and Context
Amos Patterson was one of sixty investors of the Boston Purchase and built his new home on approximately 600 acres that is now the Town of Union. Amos moved his wife Ann and their eleven children from Richmond, MA to their new home in the Southern Tier of New York. Through the years Washingtonian Hall has been a river stop, a stagecoach stop, a trolley stop, an Inn, a restaurant, and meeting place for the temperance movement, and a private residence.