Located very near the west entrance to Yellowstone National Park, Eagle's Store is a three-story log building and the oldest operating store in West Yellowstone. Built between 1927 and 1930, it was designed by Bozeman resident Fred F. Willson in the National Park Service rustic style. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.
The Eagle's Store
The store as it looked in 1939
A soda fountain was installed in 1910 and remains at the store.
Backstory and Context
In 1907, the Union Pacific Railroad Company completed a rail line that reached the west entrance of the park. The company anticipated the tourism and the subsequent economic development that would come. Samuel Peter Eagle and a partner followed suit and built a general store in 1908. Some of the merchandise at the time included cigars, fishing supplies, candy, and tobacco. The partner left to found his own store two years later. A soda fountain was installed in 1910 is still popular today. The store was torn down in 1927 to make way for the current building and it is still operated by the Eagle family.
"History of Eagle's Store," http://eagles-store.com/history/store-history.php. Retrieved 5-2-15. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle%27s_Store