Thomas Crane Public Library
Backstory and Context
The Thomas Crane Public Library was designed in four stages. The original building was designed by architect Henry Hobson Richardson and the additional ell with stack space and stained glass were added to the building in 1908, by William Martin Aiken. H.H. Richardson was prominent American architect. Richardsonian Romanesque style of Romanesque Revival architecture was named after him.
In 1939 the library was significantly expanded by architects Paul A. and Carroll Coletti, with stone carvings by sculptor Joseph A. Coletti of Quincy. The most recent extension from the 2001 by the Boston architects Childs, Bertman, and Tseckares, doubled the library’s size.
The museum today has three branches, Adams Shore Library, North Quincy Branch and Wollaston Branch Library.