Clio Logo

The former St. Boniface Church was built in 1908 and now operates as a museum called The Catholic Historical Center at St. Boniface. It houses artifacts, records, and memorabilia from the founding Catholic churches in Clinton, three of which still stand including St. Boniface. St. Boniface is an excellent example of Gothic Revival architecture and for this reason was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2012. Notable features of the building include twin bell towers, a red brick facade with limestone trim, and stained glass windows.

Built in 1908, the former St. Boniface Church is a striking example of Gothic Revival architecture. It is now a museum called the The Catholic Historical Center at St. Boniface.

Sky, Plant, Building, Window

German Catholics founded St. Boniface parish in 1861. They were members of the nearby St. Irenaeus Parish, which was established in 1852 and whose congregation consisted of Catholics from Ireland and other European countries. The German members decided they wanted a church of their own, one where mass would be given in German and German customs would be followed. The new parish acquired a Presbyterian church and consecrated it as St. Boniface Church.

Eventually, by the early 1900s the congregation outgrew the church and made plans for a present one. The Archbishop of Dubuque approved the project and the congregation hired Dubuque architect Anton Zwack to design it. After so many years, Germans in Clinton finally got an opportunity to have a church of their own that would resemble Gothic-style churches in Germany. Construction was completed in October 1908 and the bells were installed in November. The last service in the old church was held on the 21st.

In 1990, Bishop Gerald O'Keefe announced that the parishes would be consolidated into one called the Jesus Christ, Prince of Peace Catholic Church. This transition took until 2009 when construction of the new, large church building was finished. One of the former churches, St. Patrick Church, was demolished in 2005 and. St. Mary Church was razed in 2009. St. Irenaeus Church is, as of 2021, being converted into the St. Irenaeus Cultural Center and is operated by the Clinton County Historical Society. Sacred Heart Church is used by the Prince of Peace School.

"About Jesus Christ, Prince of Peace." Jesus Christ, Prince of Peace Church. Accessed October 21, 2021.

Eckelberg, Mary Ellen. "St. Boniface Church." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. February 24, 2012.

Luna, Kay. "Left behind, 2 Catholic churches get new lives". Quad-City Times. February 8, 2011.

Image Sources(Click to expand)

Wikimedia Commons: