Chase County Courthouse, Cottonwood Falls, Kansas
This stately Kansas courthouse was completed in 1873, making it the oldest courthouse still in use west of the Mississippi River. The interior of the building features a three-story spiral staircase made from local walnut trees. The most striking exterior feature of the building is the red mansard roof, one of the features typical of the French Renaissance style of architecture. Lawrence architect John G. Haskell designed the structure along with many other buildings throughout Kansas, including the state capitol in Topeka.
Chase County Courthouse