Clio Logo

This original one-story building was built and occupied by Dr. O.H. Ogilbee as his home. The fact alone supported his belief of the healthful properties of Manitou Springs. Ogilbee's office was at the Bath House. The doctor eventually moved to 202 Canon Avenue, moving his office to 108 on the first floor.

Ogilbee House 1870s

Automotive parking light, Car, Vehicle, Window

Dr. O.H. Ogilbee moved because he was one of the Canon Avenue owners who lost the part suite (across the street) to Dr. William Bell.

Ogilbee was a true town doctor, making house calls on foot. He never wore a hat, even in the dead of winter. After his death in 1938, several doctors practiced in his office. Ogilbee's great granddaughter, Jean Garrity, still resided at the same location as her famous elder practiced, at 202 Canon.

Of note is the added brick second story around 1885, with double slanted bay windows. The detailing on the bottom of the windows is indicative of the Gillis Brothers' architecture.

Historic Manitou Springs, Inc., is an educational non-profit based in Manitou Springs, Colorado, at the foot of Pikes Peak which operates the Manitou Springs Heritage Center and was formed in 1997 as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.

Our mission is to collect, preserve, research, and interpret the history and culture of Manitou Springs and the Pikes Peak Region.

The intent of the organization is to educate citizens and visitors in order to increase appreciation and understanding of this unique community. Before opening the Center Historic Manitou was operated by a board of three persons–Jean Garrity, Deborah Harrison, and Michelle Anthony. During the initial 10 years, we developed a track record of participating in and supporting community projects and events, such as restoration of the Eastern Gateway Arch, rehabilitation of Mansions Park, installation of over 30 Historic Interpretive Plaques throughout town, and placement of the memorial in Crystal Valley Cemetery for Emma Crawford. We have presented the “Ghost Stories of Old Manitou” haunted walking tours as part of the Annual Emma Crawford Festival (i.e., the events surrounding the Coffin Races) since its inception.

Pearring, John. Pearring, Joanne. The Walking Tour - A Guide to Historic Manitou Springs. Volume Revised Printing. Manitou Springs, CO. TextPros, 1998.

Image Sources(Click to expand)