Clio Logo
This is a contributing entry for Downtown Gaylord Walking Tour - 10 Plaques by the Rotary Club of Gaylord and only appears as part of that tour.Learn More.

This is the 5th of the 10 plaques placed on historical buildings in downtown Gaylord by the local Rotary Club.

The Gaylord Hardware prior to the 1915 fire.

Window, Building, Sky, Facade

Plaque displayed on the exterior wall of the Harris Law office.

Property, Building, Window, Snow

Historical marker placed here by the Rotary Club of Gaylord in 2017.

Font, Wood, Commemorative plaque, History

Schreur Chevrolet was located in this building

Car, Automotive parking light, Vehicle, Tire

circa 1924

Wheel, Building, Window, Facade

The Farrar Block on the southwest corner of Main and S. Center was built in 1904 by local attorney and real estate developer O. W. Farrar. The Gaylord Hardware and George Butcher’s grocery occupied the street level store fronts. The second floor was the Masonic Lodge.


A major fire occurred in 1915 which destroyed the contents of the stores and lodge. The brick structure was damaged but was repairable.


In later years, Schreur’s Chevrolet followed by Jim Wernig Chevrolet dealership were located here.

The Gaylord Chamber of Commerce and the administrative offices for the Tourism Bureau were housed here in the 1990s until they moved to their current location at 319 W. Main Street.

Today the Harris Law offices occupy this corner building.