Clio Logo
Located on the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology campus, The Museum of Geology was established in 1885, the same year the school opened. The museum contains thousands of fossil and mineral specimens. The surrounding area in all directions has been a treasure trove of fossils and the school and museum have taken full advantage of the location. Collections include fossils of mammals, marine reptiles, fish, invertebrates, plants, and dinosaurs from the Jurassic period and other eras. The mineral collection is comprised of specimens from all over the world. The museum is house in O'Harra Hall, which also serves as the administration building for the School of Mines campus. The James E. Martin Paleontology Research Lab is also located at the museum; it is a separate entity but works in conjunction with the museum.

  • One of the dinosaur skeletons on display at the museum