Clio Logo

This large, beautiful home was built by Aeneas Hurlbut in 1891. Designed by local architect Ferdinand C. Fiske in the Queen Anne and Stick/Eastlake styles, it is one of the most elaborate and best preserved historic homes in Lincoln. It features many decorative elements including a wrap around porch with stick and spindlework and a spindle screen, ornamented fascia boards on the gables, small porches, bays, and balconies. Inside, the house features decorative woodwork throughout, stained glass windows, fireplaces, and a third-floor ballroom. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it is occupied by the Alpha Delta Pi sorority of the University of Nebraska. It is next to two other historic homes, the Ferguson House and the Kennard House.

The Hurlbut–Yates House was built in 1891 by Aeneas Hurlbut. A fine example of Queen Anne and Stick/Eastlake architecture, it is one of the most beautiful houses in Lincoln. It is currently occupied by the Delta Alpha Pi sorority of the University of Nebraska.

Sky, Plant, Building, Window

Aeneas Hurlbut (one source says states his first name as Charles) was born in 1848 in New York. He served in the Civil War and moved to Lincoln in 1872 where he got a job working at a clothing store (he lived above the store as well). Eventually, the store moved to a new location and a few years later Hurlbut acquired it and changed the name to Hurlbut Clothing. In addition to his clothing store, Hurlbut was also a land developer and hotel promoter.

He bought the lot on which he would build the house in 1886 and removed the existing house. Construction of the present home didn't begin until 1890. Unfortunately, Hurlbut and his wife were only able to enjoy the house for a couple of years due to financial difficulties. As a result, in 1893 they exchanged houses with Charles Yates, whose house was smaller. Yates was a successful businessman, banker, and railroad official (he was the telegraph superintendent for the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad). He also served on a number of local banks and companies. He and his wife, Ruth, were prominent figures in the community and often hosted parties and fundraisers at the house. They had four children, two daughters and two sons, and the family owned the house until Ruth died in 1925 (Charles died in 1922).

Shortly thereafter the house became the Phi Mu sorority house of the University of Nebraska. Over the years different sororities and fraternities occupied the house. It was renovated in 1981 and became a private residence. The next owners renovated it again in 1999 and appear to have owned it until 2010. The new owners reconverted it into a sorority/fraternity house. The Alpha Delta Pi sorority occupies it today. The house next door on G Street was once the carriage house. It was originally positioned just to the north and faced 16th Street.

"Hurlburt-Yates House." City of Lincoln, Nebraska. Accessed April 11, 2016.

McKee, Jim. "Jim McKee: Revisiting the historic Hurlburt/Yates house." Lincoln Journal Star. January 9, 2016.

Image Sources(Click to expand)

Jim McKee: Revisiting the historic Hurlburt/Yates house