Clio Logo
This is a contributing entry and appears exclusively within that tour.Learn More.

Created by Italian sculptor Raffaello Romanelli (May 13, 1856 – 1928) out of a block of Carrera marble. Donated by brothers Louis and William Huggins, natives of St. Joseph.

Building, Sculpture, Statue, Wood

The Huggins Brothers

Louis and William

Sons of Mary and William Huggins

William, the younger of the two brothers and remarked to be a jovial man who made the family fortune through “investing wisely” in Omaha and property in St. Joseph. His entire fortune was always shared equally with his older brother Louis.

Louis the older of the two. “It was devotion to their mother that made them reach the decision that one would go out in the world to make money and the other would stay at home to giver care to the fortunate mother of such highly considerate sons.”

They resided at 600 N. 8th St. The home had a large backyard, and neighborhood kids liked to play golf there. The brothers allowed them to play until one day a window was broken by an errant golf ball. After that, golf was forbidden. However, when the brothers would go on their travels the neighborhood kids would sneak back over and resume play.

After their mother, Mary, died in 1897 they toured Italy. They were in Florence when they received the news that the St. Joseph Public Library building had been completed. They decided to purchase the statue in honor of the library opening. On August 14, 1902 the statue of Ophelia was presented and placed in the lobby.