Bosworth Hall and Fairfield Chapel, Oberlin College
Bosworth Hall was constructed as the centerpiece of Oberlin's former Graduate School of Theology which awarded degrees as largely functioned as a separate unit of the college until 1965. The limestone building features hand-carved medieval doorways and limestone colonnades that once connected the building to dormitories designed to allow divinity students to be separated from other students. Bosworth Hall is most notable for its imposing Romanesque tower made from Indiana limestone. The building is also notable as the home of Fairfield Chapel, named in honor of former college president James Harris Fairchild who led the institution from 1866 to 18889.
Backstory and Context
Roland M. Baumann, Constructing Black Education at Oberlin College: A Documentary History (Athens, Ohio: Ohio University Press, 2010)