Built in 1839, the Greek Style home is "the second oldest continuously occupied governor’s residence in the United States." It was designed by William Nichols of Bath and is considered one the best examples of period architecture. The first Mississippi governor to live in the mansion was Tilghman M. Tucker, who moved in with his family after his inauguration in 1842. The home experienced some deterioration over the years, but in the early 1970s, "Governor Waller and the First Lady initiated a three-year project that restored the Mansion to the historical period of its construction and guaranteed its continued use for many years to come." Today, the public can tour the mansion which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is also a National Historic Landmark as well as a Mississippi Historic Landmark.