Constructed in 1932, the Riviera is a historic marina, recreation and meeting hall on the eastern shore of Lake Geneva, in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. It was designed by architect James Roy Allen in the Italian Renaissance style. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. The building also has a large ballroom that is available to rent for weddings and other events.
Backstory and Context
After the Civil War, Lake Geneva became a summer retreat destination for many people, particularly wealthy families from Chicago (many of them lived here after the Great Chicago Fire of 1871). At the city grew, residents decided they wanted a recreational facility, where they could dock boats and gather for various events.