Clio Logo
This is a contributing entry for Rancho Los Cerritos Historic Site and only appears as part of that tour.Learn More.

When the adobe served as the headquarters for the Temples’ and the Bixbys’ ranches, this downstairs portion of the adobe was divided into two smaller rooms. The 19th century parlor (which you can see virtually, on the iPad) was closest to the front door of the house (nearest the central hallway). The parlor was where family members received guests during the day and relaxed in the evening. The other downstairs space was a bedroom, at least during the Bixby’s period. Upstairs, there was a large single room approximately the size of the current living room.

During the 1930s remodel, Llewellyn Bixby II created this grand living room by removing the second story bedroom as well as the wall that separated the two downstairs rooms. That renovation included electricity, heating (gas furnaces and fireplaces), and indoor plumbing. The chandeliers were custom made for this room.

Building, Wood, Fixture, Architecture

Llewellyn Bixby II was a civil engineer by training. Thankfully, under his watch, the adobe was retrofitted when remodeled in 1930-31. Bixby's architect, Kenneth Wing, added bond beams along the top walls of the structure, inserted wire mesh into the walls, and poured concrete slabs to stabilize walls that had no foundation. This was incredibly fortuitous since the work was done just a few years before the 1933 earthquake (estimated at 6.4), which had a devastating effect on local schools, department stores, and many other unreinforced masonry buildings throughout Long Beach (and impacted communities as far as 20 miles away). No major problems were reported, here, however.