Tuzigoot National Monument
Sitting high above the Verde River atop a ridge lies Tuzigoot, Tuzigoot consists of the pieces of one of the largest pueblos built by the Sinagua and is an ancient village. Tuzigoot, is an Apache word that means "crooked water." It was built between 1100 and 1450 AD and consisted 110 rooms in two stories.
Backstory and Context
The Hohokam were the first to live in Verde Valley area around 600 A.D. Then the Sinagua came later and built above-ground dwellings that were influenced by Anasazi to the north.A long time ago the river it overlooks once flowed in a loop around the west side but long before the arrival of any people it somehow changed its course. Today it runs along the east side of Tuzigoot. The original riverbed then became a large marshy area that was used by the inhabitants to grow crops.
To enter into these dwellings, you would of have had to enter through the hatchways on the roofs. The walls inside were covered in red like mud plaster. The monument was excavated from 1933 to 1935 by Louis Caywood as well as Edward Spicer both of the University of Arizona. This was done with funding from the federal Civil Works Administration and Works Project Administration. In 1935-1936, with additional funding, the ruins were made ready for public display.At this same time a Pueblo Revival-style museum and visitor center were also constructed. The museum is home to several artifacts as well as a model of what the pueblo probably looked like.