Clio Logo

Located in the historic Carnegie Library of Florida A&M and founded in 1976, the Meek-Eaton Southeastern Regional Black Archives Research Center and Museum is an important repository for African American history. The archive contains over 500,000 individual records and over 5,000 artifacts as well as a small museum with exhibits that focus on African American history in Florida.


  • The former Carnegie Library was built in 1908 and has been home to the Meek-Eaton Southeastern Regional Black Archives Research Center and Museum (also referred to as the Meek-Eaton Black Archives) since 1976.
The museum exhibits focus on the history and role of African American churches, educational and research at Florida A&M University, and important figures in politics, science, medicine, business, sports, and the military. The archive and museum are located in the first Carnegie Library built on a black land-grant college campus when it opened in 1908. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.

The Center was named in honor of veteran Florida legislator, retired U.S. Congresswoman and FAMU graduate, Carrie P. Meek (b. 1926), and Dr. James Eaton (1930-2004), who founded and served as the Center's first director.
"Background." Meek-Eaton Southeastern Regional Black Archives Research Center and Museum. Accessed April 14, 2014. http://famu.edu/index.cfm?MEBA&History.

Monroe, Elizabeth. "Carnegie Library." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. November 17, 1978.  https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/6171fb97-1b1c-4dff-a2cd-ff243baeae7c.

Photo: Wikimedia Commons
0