Howard Street Cemetery
Backstory and Context
Giles Corey was a farmer from Salem Village who was arrested and examined for the crime of witchcraft during the Salem witch trials of 1692. In September 1692, Corey refused to plead innocent or guilty at arraignment and in an attempt to make him enter a plea, judges punished him with peine forte et dure, a form of torture in which the subject is pressed beneath an increasingly heavy load of stones. After days of the torture, Corey died on September 19 at the age of 81. Corey’s third wife, Martha, was also accused of witchcraft and was hanged just after her husband died.
The Salem Dungeon and Jail was used to hold accused witches during the Salem witch trials of 1692. The witches were considered dangerous prisoners and thus were kept in the dungeon and chained to the walls. While in jail three babies were born, Mercy Good, child of Sarah Good, the infant child of Elizabeth Scargen, and John Proctor III. Only John Proctor III survived, but all three mothers were given temporary reprieves due to their pregnancies. The jail was remodeled into a Victorian home in 1813 and was razed in 1956. A large brick building now stands on the spot of the old jail with a plaque dedicated to the “Old Witch Gaol.”