The West Side Market
Backstory and Context
The West Side Market was one of three public markets in Cleveland in the early twentieth century. The market started in 1840 on land that was donated by two local businessmen to the Ohio City government who stipulated that the land be used for an open air market. The market outgrew this land and moved directly across the street in 1902. The newer Neo-Classical and Byzantine style buildings were built in 1912.
The market has always been a melting pot of cultures from all over the world. The vendor population includes individuals of Irish, German, Middle Eastern, Italian, Greek, Polish, Russian, and Slovenian descent. Some vendor stalls have been occupied by the same family since the market's inception in 1912. The market serves as both a place for locals to do their shopping and as a tourist attraction.
The West Side Market celebrated its 100 year anniversary in 2012 and has received many accolades. "In 2008, the West Side Market was designated as one of '10 Great Public Places in America,' by the American Planning Association" (West Side market website History Page). It has been featured on the Travel Channel, the Food Network, and in Food Network Magazine. Tours of the historic market can be arranged through the market office.
West Side Market: Cleveland, Ohio. American Planning Association. Accessed August 27, 2018. https://www.planning.org/greatplaces/spaces/2008/westsidemarket.htm. Information and photo source.
Market History. West Side Market. Accessed August 27, 2018. http://westsidemarket.org/.