Peter Miller House Museum
Backstory and Context
The first permanent settler in what is now known as Avon Lake, Ohio was Adam Miller. He and his wife Anna Teamount Miller came to Avon Township in 1819. Previously living in New York, the Millers came to Avon Township with their ten children. When they arrived in Avon Lake, they began to build a log cabin.
Adam Miller deeded the land where their home was constructed to his son Peter Miller on April 17, 1827. On January 3, 1828 Peter Miller married Ruth Houseworth. Sometime around 1830 the couple built one of the first two frame houses on the Avon Township lakeshore.
Peter Miller and his wife had five children. After Peter Miller’s death in 1851, his family continued to live on the property until 1925. The residence stayed in possession of the Miller women and was rented out until 1960. In 1962, it was sold to the city of Avon Lake.