Tifton Museum of Arts and Heritage
The Tifton Museum of Arts and Heritage serves as an important arts, education and cultural center for the Tifton and the surrounding region. It holds arts exhibits and offers various educational and cultural programming. It is located in the town's first brick church built in 1900, the First Methodist Church. The Victorian and Gothic style building looks somewhat plain on the outside but its interior is quite intricate, featuring stained glass windows, vaulted ceilings, and intricate woodwork.
Backstory and Context
After the last congregation left in the early 1950s, the church sat closed for many years until finally the Tift County Development Authority bought it in 1985 to prevent theft and vandalization. Funds were raised in the 1990s and the center opened in 1997.