InfoAge - Camp Evans Historic District
Backstory and Context
One of the structures at the camp is the large 45 room former hotel built in 1914 by the Marconi Company as the Belmar Transatlantic Wireless Station. The military acquired the property in 1917 and returned it to the company after WWI. During the 1920s-1930s, the Klu Klux Klan owned the building. The U.S. Army Signal Corps acquired some of the buildings on the property in 1941 and a year later the site's name was officially called Camp Evans. An interesting anecdote is that Joe McCarthy visited the site during the Cold War because he thought a communist spy ring had infiltrated the camp.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Evans_Historic_District http://www.campevans.org/about-infoage Waston, Raymond C. & Lange, Robie S. "Camp Evans," National Park Service - National Historic Landmarks. 2-16-2012.