Camp Hancock State Historic Site
Camp Hancock State Historic Site is located on the grounds of what was once a U.S. Army installation from 1872-1894. It was an infantry post (and originally called Camp Greeley) until 1877 and then became a supply depot for other forts in the region such as Fort Abraham Lincoln. The site features three attractions: a two-story, wood-frame structure that is the oldest building in the city, a 1909 Northern Pacific Locomotive, and the historic Bread of Life Church, which was built in 1880 and originally called St. George Episcopal Church. Inside the two-story building, which was originally the quartermaster/officer's house, is a permanent exhibit called "The Four Seasons at Camp Hancock," which explores the site's history. Given the site's historical significance, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. It is managed by the State Historical Society of North Dakota as one of 57 state historic sites.
Backstory and Context
Photo: Camp Hancock State Historic Site